Supermarine Spitfire MKVIII VH-HET A58-758 on late finals into runway 36 Temora.
Presently this is the only Spitfire flying in Australia. (A second example (a MK XVI) has recently been purchased from New Zealand and will be seen later this year).
20,334 Spitfires were built before, during and after the war. There were 1652 Spitfire Mk VIIIs built. This one was the last allocated to the RAAF in April 1945. On receipt the aircraft was placed into storage until it was given to the Sydney Technical College as an instructional airframe. Sid Marshall the bought the aircraft and stored it at Bankstown until 1982. Colin Pay of Scone restored the Spitfire and it flew again in 1985.
Although it never flew in anger this aircraft is painted in the green and grey camouflage colours worn by the RAAF aircraft defending Darwin during World War II and in operations in the South West Pacific and carries the markings of Wing Commander R.H. (Bobby) Gibbes AM WG CMR DSO DFC.
Benefactor to the Temora Aviation Museum, David Lowy, purchased the Spitfire and donated it to the collection. It flies regularly at the Museum. In deference to its "dirt field" undercarriage and tyre wear, the Spitfire is flown from the grass strips. The port undercarriage has a distinct "toe-in" to aid stability.
The torque of the propellor forces the port wheel hard into the ground when the throttle is opened.